Close Video
skip to main content

Post-9/11 GI Bill® •  Chapter 33

Benefits are based on the amount of time a veteran served in the military since Sept. 11, 2001. Benefits are available for up to 15 years after veterans leave duty and payable for up to 36 months. 

Documents needed: Letter of eligibility from VA Regional Office
(P.o. Box 8888, Muskogee, OK 74402-8888)
Copy of DD-214
Copy of degree plan - must be signed by adviser

**If the student is a member of the Armed Forces on or after Aug. 1, 2009, the eligible service member may transfer entitlement of the post-9/11 GI Bill to a spouse or child.

VA Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program is a provision of the Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the annual cap for private institutions.


Only veterans entitled to the maximum benefit rate of 100% (based on service requirements) or their designed transferees are eligible for this benefit. Active duty servicemembers and their spouses are not eligible for this program. Child transferees of active duty servicemembers may be eligible if the servicemember is qualified at the 100% rate.

Therefore, you may be eligible if:

  • You served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months;
  • You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001;
  • You are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post 9/11 GI Bill based on a veteran’s service under the eligibility criteria listed above.

OLLU will provide funding for 60 undergraduate students and 10 graduate/professional students.

Montgomery GI Bill® •  Chapter 30

Benefits pay up to 36 months of education benefits to eligible veterans. The amount varies based on type of training and length of military service. Students must be eligible veterans, have earned high school diplomas or GEDs, received honorable discharges and met the requirements of one of the categories defined by VA.

Documents needed:

  • Application for VA Form 22-1990, completed
  • Copy of DD-214
  • Copy of your degree plan (Must be signed by both adviser and student)
  • If you are 34/30 conversion (Old GI Bill® grandfathered in the MGIB), submit copy of marriage license and dependents' birth certificates if applicable.

VA Vocational Rehabilitation  •  Chapter 31

The VA pays the cost of services for educational training at two- or four-year colleges for certificate or technical programs. The VA also pays living allowances to veterans who participate. The program must be completed within 12 years of veterans' separation from the military service or from when they are notified by the VA that they have a service-connected disability that qualifies them for this program. Eligible veterans are provided up to 48 months of full time educational training or the part-time equivalent.

Documents needed:

  • Apply through Veterans Administration Regional Office (210-699-2327, 5788 Eckhert Road, San Antonio, TX 78240)
  • Form 28-1905: Approval from Veterans' Administration

Survivors/Dependents Education Benefits  •  Chapter 35

For eligible dependents of certain disabled, deceased, captured or detained veterans, up to 45 months of benefits are available. Children must be 18-26 years of age. Spouse must be within 10 years of eligibility date.

Documents needed:

  • Application VA Form 22-5490, completed
  • Copy of birth certificate
  • Copy of your degree plan (Must be signed by both adviser and student)

Selected Reserve - Montgomery GI Bill® •  Chapter 1606/1607

Available to members of the Selected Reserves (Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserves, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard and Air National Guard). Up to 36 months of benefits are available. Benefits end on the day of separation from the Selected Reserves. Members who remain in the reserves, benefits end 14 years from the date they became eligible.

Documents needed:

  • Application VA Form 22-1990, completed
  • VA Form DD-238 Notice of Basic Eligibility (obtain from unit commander)
  • Copy of your degree plan (Must be signed by both adviser and student)

Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship

Available to the children and surviving spouses of service members who die in the link of duty after Sept. 10, 2001. The scholarship pays a benefit equal to the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Beneficiaries attending school may receive a statutory annual maximum amount for a private school, plus a monthly living stipend and book allowance under this program. This scholarship pays up to 36 months of benefits at the 100-percent level.  

To apply:

Application Procedure

When you have all your documentation complete, bring it to the Financial Aid Office in the Walter Student Service Center, and see the Veterans Coordinator. If you have any questions, contact us at 
Fax: 210-431-3958

If you have received VA Benefits® at another institution, you will need to complete a V.A. Form 22-1995 {Self} or Form 22-5495 {Dependent} (change of program or place of training) instead of a V.A. application form.

If you are currently enrolled at another institution, but we are NOT your primary institution (you are not seeking a degree from OLLU, but rather from another institution), you will need a letter from your primary institution which states the following:

  • The chapter in which you are eligible
  • Your declared major
  • Have primary institution approve courses to be taken at OLLU (VA Form 315)

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at .